#Microblog Mondays: Eggs


Not sure what #MicroblogMondays is? Read the inaugural post which explains the idea and how you can participate too.

I haven't written on here in two weeks. Blogging is hard, you guys. Last Monday Chris and I caught some sort of stomach bug and were down for the count. And taking care of a baby in all that... not fun. Not fun at all.

I wanted to talk about what was going on with Olivia's suspected egg allergy. Basically she reacted once from scrambled eggs, about a tablespoon amount, and after a visit to a family practice doc, we were told no eggs or egg products until we could talk with the pediatrician.

Well I met with her doctor three weeks ago and I brought up my concerns again with this possibly being some weird fluke. I mean, I know I have my gut instincts and it's usually right and my gut was telling me this was not a traditional egg allergy. So he told me they could do an egg white blood test that day along with her hemoglobin and lead that they normally test at her one year check and that I could schedule with a pediatric allergist.

We did the blood draw after her visit, which Olivia handled remarkably well considering she screams at her immunizations like you are methodically ripping her toe nails off. After that, we scheduled her allergist visit (unfortunately not until November 1st).

Her pediatrician called me himself a few days later and told me the egg white test came back at 0 which he was surprised at. So he told me to try to give her a small bite of egg here and there and see how she reacts. I was so relieved. I know it can be so much worse than having an egg allergy. But.. I mean, no one wants this for their child.

So I've been giving her things with eggs in them. Pancakes, egg noodles. With the pancakes, she got a spotty red rash on one of her cheeks that went away within an hour. Subsequent pancakes never got a reaction. Then last week she tried egg noodles for the first time and I saw a red dotted rash over her chest, like a silver-dollar sized area during her bath... and then went away.

When I gave her the smallest bite of egg she didn't have a reaction at all. It's weird. And I mean, she has no other symptoms other than these small rashes. I'm going to keep doing this and then maybe call the allergist in a few weeks and ask them if we should still keep the appointment with them.

In the meantime, we have Benadryl on hand just in case and I try to not do these egg products on the weekends or in evenings. We'll see what comes of this.

But.. kind of weird huh?

 You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts by clicking here.

Labels: