When did "when" become "if"?

Guess what, you guys? I have bloglovin'! Don't ask me how to use it. I don't get it. But I figure I should probably get it because I've heard it's easier to follow blogs on. I've been working on adding blogs to it, but leave a comment on here if you have a blog and I will follow you!

This week has been a bit crazy. We got our first foster puppy, Dudley, on Sunday night. He is an almost 5 month old Manchester Terrier and is cute as a button. I use that comparison, because this morning he tried to frantically eat one off a quilt I have. Puppies. I forgot how much work they are.


Chris and I talked about fostering dogs for awhile now. I am home a lot more now and we decided to take the plunge. The dogs that come to the rescue are from high kill shelters, mostly from the southern states, and from northern Minnesota, up on the reservations. The rescue takes dogs in danger of being euthanized, and transports them up here to Minnesota to stay with volunteer families who take them in. Our job is to provide love, teach manners, and give them a home to stay in while they look for an adoptive family.


I look at Dudley and see him as a playful puppy, but the reality is, he was taken because he would have been put to sleep otherwise. It hurts my heart and that is what makes me want to do this. My hope is that he is adopted before we go to Texas for the donor egg transfer, otherwise he will need to go stay with another foster.

This week's article for mom.me discusses some of the feelings I have had lately about my thought process during infertility, appropriately titled, When Did "When" Become "If"?

Excerpt:
I’ve gotten into this bad habit when talking about the future by referring to “if” I have kids, rather than saying “when” I have kids.
Way back before we ever started trying, kids were this abstract concept, something we thought we would eventually get when I messed up my birth control schedule, or by splitting a bottle of Chardonnay some night after a cabin-in-the-woods party. In other words, kids were a thing of the future—a given.

Read the rest of the article here.


Labels: ,